Senior Functional Web Engineer to join fast-growing education startup transforming the way 3+ million K-8 students learn Math and English.
What you will be doing
Architect, design and develop new applications, tools and distributed systems for the Front Row ecosystem in Haskell, Flow, PostgreSQL, Ansible and many others. You will get to work on your deliverable end-to-end, from the UX to the deployment logic.
Once you're an integral part of the team you will act as Dev Lead and oversee the success of your team
Mentor and support more junior developers in the organization
Create, improve and refine workflows and processes for delivering quality software on time and without incurring debt
Work at our offices in San Francisco as part of a very small (there's literally half a dozen of us!), world-class team of engineers with a track record of rapidly delivering valuable software to millions of users.
Work closely with Front Row educators, product managers, customer support representatives and account executives to help the business move fast and efficiently through relentless automation.
Why you should join Front Row
Our mission is important to us, and we want it to be important to you as well: millions of students learn math using Front Row every month. Our early results show students improve twice as much while using Front Row than their peers who aren’t using the program.
You’ll be THE first Senior Engineer ever at Front Row, which means you’ll have an immense impact on our company, product, and culture; you’ll have a ton of autonomy and responsibility; you’ll have equity to match the weight of this role. If you're looking for an opportunity to both grow and do meaningful work, surrounded and supported by like-minded professionals, this is THE place for you.
You will be working side by side with many well known world-class personalities in the Haskell and Functional Programming community whose work you've likely used. Front Row is an active participant to the Open Source community and contributor to some of the most popular Haskell libraries.
A lot of flexibility: while we all work towards the same goals, you’ll have a lot of autonomy in what you work on. You can work from home up to one day a week, and we have a very flexible untracked vacation days policy
The company and its revenue are growing at a rocketship pace. Front Row is projected to make a massive impact on the world of education in the next few years. It's a once in a lifetime opportunity to join a small organization with great odds of becoming the Next Big Thing.
- You have experience doing full-stack web development. You understand HTTP, networking, databases and the world of distributed systems.
- You have functional programming experience.
- Extreme hustle: you’ll be solving a lot of problems you haven’t faced before without the resources and the support of a giant organization. You must thrive on getting things done, whatever the cost.
- Soft skills: we want you to move into a leadership position, so you must be an expert communicator
- You have led a software development team before
- You have familiarity with a functional stack (Haskell / Clojure / Scala / OCaml etc)
- You understand and have worked all around the stack before, from infrastructure automation all the way to the frontend
- You're comfortable with the Behavior-Driven Development style
- You have worked at a very small startup before: you thrive on having a lot of responsibility and little oversight
- You have worked in small and effective Agile/XP teams before
- You have delivered working software to large numbers of users before
- Competitive salary
- Generous equity option grants
- Medical, Dental, and Vision
- Catered lunch and dinner 4 times a week
- Equipment budget
- One flexible work day per week
- Working from downtown SF, very accessible location
- Professional yet casual work environment
Get information on how to apply for this position.